The Pennsylvania State University is committed to providing a safe environment for all minors participating in activities offered at the University. All Penn State youth programs have policies in place to ensure the safety of youth participating in our programs and to ensure safety is not compromised; we expect that outside organizations bringing minors to our campus meet or exceed the applicable University policies.
Outside Organizations who are visiting campus must comply with all relevant aspects of University Policy AD-39 Minors Involved in University-Sponsored Programs or Programs Held at the University and/or Housed in University Facilities.
The following requirements must be met by the sponsoring organization:
- All individuals that interact with, supervise, chaperone or otherwise oversee minors must be in compliance with relevant background clearance requirements for interacting with children in Pennsylvania.
- A procedure to notify the minor’s parent/legal guardian in case of an emergency, including medical or behavioral problems, natural disasters, or other significant program disruptions must be established. Authorized adults with the program, as well as participants and their parents/legal guardians, must be advised of this procedure in writing prior to the participation of the minors in the program.
- Provide information to parent or legal guardian detailing the manner in which the participant can be contacted during the program.
- No 1:1 contact with minors is permitted. A minimum of 2 adult chaperones from the organization must be present at all times, regardless of the number of minors present, and appropriate ratios of adults to minors must be maintained as outlined below.
Standards for non-residential camps, programs, and field trips are:
- One adult chaperone for every six participants ages 4 and 5
- One adult chaperone for every eight participants ages 6 to 8
- One adult chaperone for every ten participants ages 9 to 14
- One adult chaperone for every twelve participants ages 15 to 17
For further questions regarding requirements for minors on campus, please contact Sandy Weaver, Director of Youth Program Compliance, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the location you wish to visit for a field trip.